Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — When Daniel Pomeroy arrived in Niagara County from Connecticut in 1810, he found an almost unbroken wilderness in what was then the Town of Cambria. He turned off the Old Niagara Road on to a path that is now Leete Road and headed south up the Niagara Escarpment to present-day Lower Mountain Road. At this intersection, he built a log cabin, then went back to Connecticut to get his wife.
When they arrived back in Cambria, “as fast as he cleared the land of trees, he planted each year sufficient corn and wheat for the use of his family, planning no doubt as most settlers did on having some extra grain for new settlers or for neighbors who might lose their crops. Land not needed for grain or garden crops he planted to fruit trees which he obtained from Lewiston. He was one of the first fruit growers on the Lower Mountain Road.”
During the War of 1812, Pomeroy served under General Winfield Scott and saw action at the Battle of Queenston Heights in October of that year. After the war, Pomeroy returned to his land and began to once again plant crops.
Then came the devastating season of 1816, the year without a summer. Crops failed all around — but not for Pomeroy and his half-brother Jabez, who settled down on the Leete Road. For some reason, being on the Niagara Escarpment, they escaped the killing frosts that occurred every month that summer. The following year they were able to sell their corn crop at record prices.
After clearing more land and establishing himself as a prosperous farmer, in 1823, Pomeroy built the frame house that still stands on Lower Mountain Road today. The five-over-five bay Federal-style house with a wing on the west side was recently painted a light blue color, after being white for most of its existence.