- LEFFLER: In WNY, wheels are a must for upward mobility I have often joked that Western New York is still in the Bush recession. No â€¦ the other Bush. Iâ€™ve also wondered aloud whether part of the blame for that is our lack of mobility.
- DAVIS: Look for the laughter in everyday life
- ROOT: Be true to yourself In a world where little original thought is possible, being one of the 'sheeple' isn't necessarily a bad thing.
- CONFER: A look at state Propositions 4, 5 Of the six statewide propositions on November ballots, items 4 and 5 will likely be ignored voters on this side of the state, since they are focused on issues in the Adirondacks. That's a shame, because the questions are not strictly regional in nature.
NIAGARA DISCOVERIES: Samuel Works, 'old school' politician
Today, we rarely hear people talk about politicians who have "integrity," a "spotless reputation," or are "public spirited citizens." However, those are exactly the words used to describe Samuel Works, Lockport's state senator in the mid 19th century.
- LEFFLER: Budget deal nothing to get excited about As much as I want to herald the dawn of a new spirit of cooperation in the budget/debt limit deal that Congress approved Wednesday night, I can't help but feel like we've all been doubly duped.
- DAVIS: It's never too late to savor an analog moment In-person training in the year 2013? I know it sounds crazy, but Bowling 2.0 might be one of the most exciting things I've heard about this year.
- ROOT: W.N.Y. will get better, believe it! Let's stop identifying our area with our professional sports teams. Not just because they're a laughing stock, but because there is so much going on here that people are missing while they're complaining about the Bills and the Sabres.
- CONFER: A look at Proposition 1 This November there will be six statewide propositions on New York ballots. Over the next three weeks, I will give you the background - and my two cents - on each, so you can go to the polls prepared to make an informed decision rather than being caught off guard by what's on the screen before you.
- Survivor's plea: Let's all say 'no more' to domestic violence October is Domestic Violence Awareness month, yet it is often eclipsed by other campaigns with a stronger national voice. Every day, all year, countless victims of completely preventable crimes are left voiceless in their personal struggles. As a survivor myself, I say enough is enough!
- More Columns Headlines