Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — What fun it was at the Olcott Carousel Park last Sunday! The great weather brought out droves of families looking to savor the nostalgic jewel in Olcott. It was wonderful to see so many smiling faces.
• The First Baptist Church in Newfane is collecting donations of school supplies for the upcoming school year. If you can donate, they are in special need of 1-½ inch and 3-inch binders, dividers, pens, pencils, pencil cases, etc. Drop them off at the church.
• Newfane Free Library is having a bag sale for used books at the library through Friday. Fill a plastic shopping bag for $2 or a paper bag or box for $5. All funds raised go towards the purchase of new books.
• Saturday brings the 23rd annual Olcott Beach Classic Car Show, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Krull Park. Organizers expect more than 600 classic cars competing for trophies and prizes in a beautiful lakeside setting. Register cars from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. (there is a fee). Free admission and parking for spectators. For more information, check out the sponsors at wwwtimetravelersWNY.com.
• Summer flea markets are almost over! Stop by the one at Niagara Hartland Campground, 2383 Hartland Road, Gasport, is holding a flea market from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. There will be lots of treasures, so come and see what they have.
• The Lakeview Village Shoppes are currently open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday through Wednesday and 11 a.m. to dusk Thursday through Saturday. You can also hook into free WiFi on the boardwalk. It is a great place to shop, have something to eat and enjoy the Lake Ontario view.
• Sunday concerts in Olcott continue in the Olcott Gazebo, featuring the Barker Community Band from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday. The gazebo is located on Main Street next to the Olcott Carousel Park. On Labor Day, you can catch the Barroom Buzzards from 4 to 6 p.m., after a concert by Then and Now from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Lions Bandstand at Krull Park. Bring a chair or blanket and enjoy some great music.