Lockport Union-Sun & Journal —
• The Hartland Historical Society Fall Festival will take place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, at the Old Schoolhouse (corner of Seaman and Carmen roads.) Featured entertainment includes Jerry Moore, Art Huntington and the Friends of Old Country Music from 1 to 3 p.m. There will be a ham dinner, hot dogs, hamburgers, sausage with peppers and onions and beverages as well as a bake sale. Enjoy a large basket auction and 50/50 draw.
• Tickets are still available for the Somerset Conservation Club gun raffle on Sunday. Tickets are $20 and you could win one of ten sporting guns (listed in their flier). The ticket includes refreshments for the ticket-holder, beginning at noon. Winners need not be present. Get tickets from Ron Malcolm at 930-4169, Paul Higgins at 795-9140, at Thee Barker Store and Tootie’s Country Store.
• It’s flu season! Get that flu shot the easy way without a doctor’s appointment. Stop by Thee Barker Store from noon to 2 p.m. on September 27 and get your shot from licensed pharmacists. Bring your insurance card and they’ll take care of the paperwork or you can pay cash. Treat yourself to a delicious lunch or ice cream treat while you’re there.
• Your next chance to get Barker Lion’s cooked chicken will be at the chicken barbecue at Holy Cross Lutheran Church on September 30. Drive through or eat in; the menu consists of a half chicken, potato salad baked beans, dessert and roll. Pre-sale tickets are $8; dinner is $8.50 at the door. Serving begins at 11:30 a.m. and sells out every year so get your tickets early. The church is located at 133 Telegraph Rd. (Rte. 31) in Middleport. Pre-sale dinners must be picked up by 1 p.m. For tickets call 735-7209.
• Get registered now for the fall session of Barker Adult Education. Classes begin on September 24 and include antique auto restoration, body sculpting, basketball, beginner knitting, family swim, family movie night, hall walking, introduction to Photoshop, paper class, and P.M. workout. Special fall sessions include AARP Driver Safety on Nov. 14-15, 5-Hour Pre-licensing on Oct. 13 or Nov. 10, charm spool table runner making (appliqué) on October 4 and 18, Marissa’s Bag Room (create a quilted handbag) on Nov. 3 and an all day quilting shop-hop on October 20. Seniors with Barker ID can take classes at half price. Register early to avoid cancellation of class for low enrollment. The entire catalog and application can be found in the Barker Back-to-School- Banner or online at www.barkercsd.net. Contact Director Jim Cantella at 795-3203 ext. 7315 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sincere thanks go out to the readers who sent get-well wishes after my recent hospital stay. I’m on the mend and the news never missed a beat! Keep those submissions coming.
Deadline is 6 p.m. Sunday. Send your news to email@example.com (no attachments except MS Word and jpeg please) 795-9262 or to 8691 Lake Road, #9, Barker 14012.