Lockport Union-Sun & Journal
Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — What a spectacular Celtic Fest weekend it was! People are still talking about the magnificent event, and the way hundreds of volunteers steered them easily through parking, shuttling and informational help. As a community, you can be very proud of the way you were represented to visitors from all over, including the shores of Scotland. Every year the Celtic experience becomes richer. I managed a few precious hours during the weekend to drink in the pageantry and pipes and it was the best medicine of all!
* Do you have computer questions? How about Nook or Kindle questions? Stop by the Newfane Library from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. this Saturday or on September 29 and bring your Nook, Kindle, Ipad, Laptop, etc. Computer instructor Sara Taylor will be there to help you!
Sign up has begun for the library’s Fall Pre-School Story Hour, which will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Friday mornings from September 28 to November 16. Sign up either in person at the library or by calling 778-9344.
Family Story Time returns at 6:30 p.m. on September 27. Join in for stories, crafts & fun! This program is geared towards children pre-school aged through elementary school.
The library will be having a bag sale for used books on the last Saturday of every month. Stop by the library on September 29 and stock up by filling a plastic grocery bag for $2 or paper/cloth bag for $5.
• The Lakeview Village Shoppes are open on weekends only through September and October, 11 a.m. to dusk. You can also hook into free WIFI on the boardwalk. It is a great place to shop, have something to eat and enjoy the Lake Ontario view.
• The Niagara Shores Garden Club of Newfane will hold its next meeting at 6:30 p.m. tonight at Zehr’s Farm Market. Members will have time to shop, with a short meeting before being shown how to properly shut down gardens for the winter. This will result in less plant damage and less work in the spring. New members are always welcome to the club. For more information contact Barbara Reabold at 778-7198.
• This Friday September 21 The First Baptist Church in Newfane on East Avenue will be hosting a free community dinner from 5 to 6 p.m. Everyone is welcome. Any questions please call Denise Noble at her new number 585-205-6928.
• Puppy Socials will be held from 10 a.m. to noon this Saturday and October 6 at Shoppe On Main. These are for dogs up to 18 months of age. Dog trainer Karen Drumm teaches the class. Puppies need to have had their first shots before coming to class. This is a great way for your puppy to learn manners outside of the home, particularly when meeting other dogs. Call Karen at 638-1211 to reserve your spot. Shoppe On Main is located at 2714 Main Street (Rte 78) in Newfane or online at www.ShoppeOnMain.com
• The annual Chicken Chowder sale and basket auction by the Wrights Corners Fire Company Ladies Auxiliary happens on Saturday. Doors open at 10 a.m. and chowder will be served starting at 11 a.m. The Basket Auction drawing starts at 12:30 p.m. (you need not be present to win). Auction tickets are $5 for a sheet of 26 tickets. Chowder Prices are $18 a gallon; $9 a half gallon; $4.50/quart and $2.50 for a bowl. Please bring your own container or there will be a minimal cost for one. New this year is the Schwan’s Truckload Sale. You will be able to purchase frozen food items between 10 a.m. and noon and the auxiliary will get a percentage after a certain amount is reached. If you’ve never had Schwan’s food products, please come and give them a try. Monies raised from this annual event help defray costs of the ladies’ kitchen needs and help support our volunteer fire personnel. Come have a bowl of chowder or take some home to enjoy later. For more information call Cindy at 778-7805.
• Looking for something to do when the summer fun ends? Shoppe on Main offers lots of classes and events. Crochet classes are held every Thursday. Student classes start at 3:30 p.m. and adults at 4:30 p.m. Beginners and advanced learners welcome and the cost is $5 per class. For more information call Lisa at 751-6723. Every Tuesday, from 10:30 a.m. to noon, one of Shoppe On Main’s knitting artists will be teaching knitting for beginners through intermediate level. Classes are $5 each. For more information call 778-5273. Walk-ins are welcome.
• Newfane’s Apple Harvest Festival is coming up on September 30. Look for the country fair at the farm village museum, barbershop, schoolhouse, blacksmith, printer, country store and more. Enjoy food, music, dancers, crafters and a civil war encampment. Admission and parking are free. The Town of Newfane Historical Society sponsors this fun, family event. Stop by West Creek Road at Ide Rd. in Newfane.
• The great Chinese auction sponsored by the Eastern Niagara Hospital Newfane Site Auxiliary is celebrating its 25th year of raising money to support hospital projects. The event will be held at the Olcott Fire Hall on October 2. Doors open at 5 p.m. and drawings start at 7 p.m. Winners must be present to claim prizes and seating is limited. Admission, juice, coffee and cookies are free, as well as a chance on a door prize. Auction tickets are $5 for 25. Food and beverages will be available for sale, as well as a 50/50 draw. To make a donation to the auction call Bonnie Eifert at 778-9257. Support our local jewel of a hospital!
• “Haunted Candlelight Tours” of the Van Horn Mansion will be starting soon. The ghost of “Malinda” and other hosts offer candlelit tours and eerie stories of the previous and current residents of this 1800s Victorian mansion. Tours take place from 7 to 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. Tours are scheduled for October 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26 and 27. There is an admission fee; parking is free. Call now for large group reservations; 778-7197. The mansion is located at 2165 Lockport Olcott Rd. in Burt and the Town of Newfane Historical Society sponsors the event. Visit if you dare!
• On October 13, 20, and 27, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Shoppe On Main will offer “You Can Knit Socks!” a three- part class given by our local knitting expert. This class is designed for those who know the basics of knitting. Cost is $20. Materials can be purchased at Shoppe On Main, or if you prefer to bring your own supplies please call 778-4310 for what you will need. Shoppe On Main is located at 2714 Main Street (Rte. 78) in Newfane. Check it out at www.ShoppeOnMain.com.
• Organizers are hard at work on a benefit for the Johnson Family, who lost their daughter/sister Sarah Johnson and their home in an explosion. Daughter Katie faces many surgeries after critical burns. The event is planned for 2 p.m. on October 27 at the Olcott Fire Hall Saturday and performing is ‘Blues Mongers.’ Save the date and watch for details on how you can help.
• Organizers have planned the 10th annual Joe’s 5k Run and Walk for November 3 at the Newfane Elementary School, and they are looking for sponsors and volunteers. The event is held in memory of Joe Schuler, who passed away in 2002 while preparing for the Cross Country season. The majority of the proceeds will again this year go to the Newfane Food Pantry and the Outreach Center at St. John’s Church. It is being sponsored by the Newfane Sports Boosters. Costs are Fun Run with no tee shirt $5, Fun Run with tee shirt $20, 5k Run $20 if pre registered by October 25, and $25 after Oct 25. Fun run will begin at 9:30 a.m. and the 5k will begin at 10 a.m. The school pool will be open at 11a.m. for the family swim. There will be an awards and food, including soup, chili, fruit, donuts and drinks immediately following the run. Registration forms are available at the Newfane schools, and businesses around town. For registration info, forms, or to be a race sponsor listed on the tee shirts contact Kurt Schuler at 778-4603.
Please email your events as early as possible for the next few weeks.
Send your news to email@example.com (jpeg pictures, MSWord or text in emails only) or to 8691 Lake Road, #9, Barker 14012. The deadline is 8 p.m. Tuesday.