Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — •••
Wilson’s own Savannah King is up for three Best of Buffalo 2014 awards. Take the time and vote for her at www.bestvoice.com. As most of you know, King is a 2011 graduate of Wilson High School and has been completing her musical studies at SUNY Fredonia. She is a very talented young lady who plays guitar and sings many of her own original songs.
Don’t forget: the Wilson Historical Society will host the 42nd Annual Country Fair on May 26 at the Historical Society grounds. If you are interested in flea market space, contact Wally Goodman at 751-6583.
If you look at pictures from the past, the Village of Wilson was a thriving and busy place. Here is a walk down memory lane, or information that might be interesting to “newbies,” courtesy of Jeanine Johnson. Do you remember:
• The train depot when it was in operation
• The post office on Young Street
• Okie’s Drug Store
• The liquor store, coffee shop, now Amy Lee’s
• Wilkie’s Bar, now Jeans Bar and Grill
• The Barber Shop, now part of the Wilson Free Library
• Kenyon’s, now T & R Corner Store
• The business where you could take your dry cleaning, buy shoes and buy your Wilson coat, and Ivy Thompson always remembered to give you your S&H Green Stamps. It is now a dentist office and Garden Gate
• Nevins Grocery Store
• Pettit’s Appliance Store, restaurant and laundromat
• Horton’s Hardware, Farm & Garden Supply, now a parking lot owned by the fire hall.
• Wilson State Bank, Marine Midland, HSBC, First Niagara
• The movie theater that burned down
• The gas station, Hibbard’s, Village Meeting Place, now Matty’s
• Goldie’s, Lakeside Food King, now Wilson Lakeside IGA
• Helpie Selfie Laundry Mat, now Wilson Community Pharmacy
• The Village of Wilson water tower where the doctor’s office is now