Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — Investigators may be closing in on a suspect responsible for a pair of bomb threats than shut down two area high schools Monday morning.
“The investigation is continuing and we have made progress,” Niagara County Undersheriff Mike Filicetti said Tuesday.
An early morning phone call into the Sheriff’s Office 911 Center, claiming that bombs had been planted at both the Niagara Falls and Niagara-Wheatfield high schools, led to the lockdown of each facility.
Investigators have not commented on what the caller said or other leads that they are pursuing. Law enforcement sources have said they questioned the credibility of the threats almost from the start.
Niagara Falls Police officers responded to the Porter Road high school, while sheriff’s deputies, Lewiston Police officers and New York State Police troopers raced to the Niagara-Wheatfield middle/high school building on Route 31.
While Falls students remained in their classes, Niagara-Wheatfield officials decided to evacuate students.
“The kids were taken over to the Sanborn Fire Hall and they stood by there,” Filicetti said.
Bomb-sniffing dogs from the sheriff’s office, the State Police and Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority Police swept the high school complex and found nothing
The district evacuated the students because of concerns for their safety, Niagara-Wheatfield Superintendent Lynn Fusco said.
“The safety of the children came first,” Fusco said. “Because the threat was not defined, we made sure with the evacuation of the children.”
The district’s safety teams will review their response and re-evaluate procedures moving forward, with help from the sheriff’s office, Fusco added.
“We’ll be working to improve our responses to these situations,” Fusco said.
In the Falls, parents were notified of the lockdown via the district’s all-call system and were kept informed of the situation as details became available. A team of three police K-9 units searched the high school and found nothing.