Lockport Union-Sun & Journal —
The 7-year-old girl who was assaulted on Monday was released from Women's and Children's Hospital in Buffalo and is in a safe house in Lockport.
"She was released last night or early this morning," Lt. Det. Scott Seekins said Thursday. "She's in the custody of her mother. They are staying in a safe house that is not anywhere near that neighborhood where (the assault) occurred."
The attack occurred at the girls' home on Monroe and Allen Streets about 2 p.m. and the girl escaped to her grandmother's house on Church Street.
David L. Alfonso, 28, was charged with second-degree attempted murder, second-degree assault and second-degree strangulation. He pleaded not guilty and is being held at the Niagara County Jail on $1 million bail. Alfonso has a return court date at Lockport City Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday for a preliminary hearing.
The child's safety is a super high priority, Seekins said. "Now that he's in custody, we have to make sure the child is taken care of. She is protected and her mother is protected."
Alfonso is known to police. According to Seekins, Alfonso had been arrested four or five times in 2012.
Cassandra Castro, the mother of the victim, told police that Alfonso attacked the girl in the house and choked her until she was unconsciousness. He placed his hand into her mouth and broke out teeth. He also caused a tongue injury and tried to rip her jaw off, the police report said. During those acts, the mother fought with Alfonso to try and get him to stop.
Alfonso fought with police even after being tasered. Drug abuse is suspected.
"Everything is on the table now," Seekins said.