Lockport Union-Sun & Journal Online

Local News

February 18, 2012

Boy hospitalized after inhaling 'G-13'

A 16-year-old Campbell Boulevard boy needed first aid Thursday after having a seizure apparently caused by inhaling a new marijuana-like substance that is sold legally to persons over 18.

The Niagara County Sheriff’s Department was called to Campbell Boulevard at 3:57 p.m. and learned that the youth inhaled “G-13 Potpourri” prior to the seizure. Two other teens stated they also inhaled the substance but did not experience the same side effects.

According to the report, the G-13 Potpourri was purchased at a Sweet Home Road store by someone over 18 and delivered to the home. When the victim had an apparent seizure, the teens called police for help. Wendelville Fire Co. responded to the scene to assist, as well.

The victim was transported to DeGraff Hospital by Rural Metro. The other teens were taken to the hospital for evaluation because they also said they inhaled the substance, according to the report.

The medical staff, which is familiar with the substance, was provided with the G-13. The Starpoint School District also received a notification, the sheriff’s office said.

The teen who delivered the G-13 identified the person who purchased the substance.

The new marijuana-like substance is also known as K2, spice or “scary spice.” It resembles herbs or potpourri and can be smoked just like marijuana, but doesn’t show up on drug tests.

Mixtures have been called: G-13, Love Potion, Venom, Diablo, Mad Hatter, King Kong, Cloud 9, Magic XXX, Klimax and Xotic.

1
Text Only
Local News
Featured Ads
Front page
Community Events
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
AP Video