Lockport Union-Sun & Journal
Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — St. John's Outreach, which opened in a little blue building behind St. John the Baptist Church on Chestnut Street in 1983, will mark its 30th anniversary with an open house on Friday.
"We encourage people to come and see what we do," said director Michael Boron. "We will provide information to the public and take on tours."
The open house takes place from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday at the center on 168 Chestnut St.
Both the food pantry and clothing center are open on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from noon to 3 p.m. It has offered continuous service since Sept. 30, 1983. The team of volunteers works to direct basic necessities to households in need throughout Eastern Niagara County.
• Sister Helen’s Food Pantry, which is affiliated with the Food Bank of Western New York, distributes food three days a week in addition to special distributions of complete meals at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
• The Clothing Center distributes new and gently-used clothing, small appliances and household items three days a week.
• The Furniture Center distributes gently-used furniture, beds, and appliances to people in need of basic home furnishings in Eastern Niagara County.
According to Boron, Outreach works regularly with a number of Human Services organizations throughout Niagara County. It has established regional partnerships with “Cribs for Kids” and “ K.I.D.S,” both national organizations.
Through the volunteers, donors and other members of the community, Outreach has achieved the following milestones:
• Serviced about 370 families per month through the food pantry- up 20 percent in 2012.
• Distributed over 74,000 diapers and products to over 140 families with children under age 3 since May 2011.
• Engaged about 3,500 individuals per month in the clothing center.
• Collected and distributed a large number of household appliances and other basics like beds, and couches.
• Provided backpacks and school supplies to several hundred children each year.
* Supplied over 700 winter coats to children and adults each year.
• Distributed complete meals to over 300 families for Thanksgiving.
• Supplied complete meals to over 300 families, and hundreds of wrapped and unwrapped gifts just before Christmas.
Outreach is always looking for additional resources including new volunteers, non-perishable food products, clothing in good condition and furniture basics, furniture basics including- beds, couches, stoves, and refrigerators.
For more information, call 433-5252.