Lockport Union-Sun & Journal —
A detached garage at 430 Michigan St. went up in flames Monday afternoon when discarded ashes from a wood-burning stove ignited several containers of gasoline, causing an explosion.
Lockport Fire Department responded to the fire at 1:33 p.m. The blaze took about 30 minutes to subdue and a standby crew was called in.
The ashes had been placed in a cardboard box in the garage. They were still hot enough to ignite the cardboard box, which ignited some nearby wood, causing the gasoline containers to explode, according to Assistant Fire Chief Matt Streckewald.
The garage is a total loss, Streckewald said. A nearby shed and fence were also badly burned. A large pine tree between the garage and the house stalled the flames from reaching the home.
“If we had arrived five minutes later, the house would have burned,” Streckewald said. The fire was controlled before reaching neighboring homes.
Damage is estimated at $20,000 to the structure and an additional $20,000 for the loss of content, including a vintage car that the owner was restoring. There were no injuries reported.