Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — NEWFANE - Newfane High School’s baseball program will be affected immensely by the punishment of the seven teenagers arrested last week in South Carolina.
The boys have been suspended from school until Thursday and will perform 60 hours of community service. Four of them will face Superintendent Christine J. Tibbetts at a hearing Thursday to determine if additional punishment will be needed.
In the meantime, the varsity baseball team will forfeit its first two games of the 14-game season. As a result, the varsity team will begin the season at no wins and two losses, both games officially noted as 7-0 losses in the record books.
There will be no postseason, as the school will not participate in the Section VI tournament. And when they return, the seven players will be suspended for six games from the team.
Parents of the varsity players who were not involved in the Myrtle Beach incident said it feels as though their children are paying the price as well.
“I don’t feel this is fair,” said Bonnie LaJoie. “My son was ecstatic to go down there. He worked so hard. The kids that don’t have anything to do with it are being punished.”
Patty Yurek was one of the parents who traveled with the Newfane baseball team to Myrtle Beach for the Mingo Bay baseball tournament. Losing the games and sectional play was too much.
“It’s a little over the top,” Yurek said. “My son is hanging his head like you wouldn’t believe.”
Concerns were raised over the lack of a competitive team and sectionals. Parents were concerned about how it would affect scholarship chances for any of the varsity players.
They were also concerned about the fate of varsity coach Jeff Kneeland. Kneeland has coached the team for five years and is popular with players and their families.