Lockport Union-Sun & Journal
Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — No injuries or damage was reported Wednesday, following a gas line on Craine Street being accidentally struck by city workers.
Water department employees were putting in a new water line near the Craine and Michigan streets intersection Wednesday morning. In the process, a 2-inch natural gas line was struck. The intersection is just west of Outwater Park, located in a northwestern corner of the city.
Workers evacuated four homes on Craine as a precaution. Repair work took a reported four hours and residents were allowed back in their homes shortly thereafter. Utility workers and city firefighters were on scene.
City resident Russell Bruning addressed the Common Council Wednesday about the matter, praising how city workers handled the repair. Residents were back in their homes quick and workers apologized for the inconvenience, he said.
“They absolutely know what they’re doing there,” Bruning said. “They’re all great guys.”
Bruning said outside the smell of gas was pretty strong, but nothing was reported in the homes.
Mayor Michael Tucker said the line was unmarked, common with older utility lines.