Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — Asbestos abatement started Monday at the city parking garage, Main and Pine streets, and demolition of the structure is tentatively set to begin June 24.
Impacts of demolition on downtown commerce should be minimal, according to Mayor Michael Tucker.
The work plan by Empire Dismantlement Corp. calls for one lane of Pine Street to be closed to vehicular traffic for about half of a block, from Main Street north, and used as a staging area.
The company is trying to minimize instances of blocking vehicular access to the Lockview Plaza parking lot off Pine, and also not cut off public access to Old City Hall across the way, Tucker said Monday.
The work plan anticipates no disruptions to vehicular or pedestrian traffic along Main Street. The sidewalk in front of the parking garage may be blocked periodically only, Tucker said.
Empire Dismantlement anticipates it'll need up to four weeks to dismantle the pre-fabricated concrete garage. Once that's done, a 42-slot surface parking lot will be installed over the base. The project is about a month behind schedule after the city and Empire were temporarily blocked from proceeding due to a now-dropped lawsuit by a competing contractor.
Tucker will brief downtown business owners on the project tonight, during a 6 p.m. meeting at City Hall regarding a parking study that graduate students are undertaking for the city. The students will apprise attendees on what their study has turned up so far, and introduce a survey of business owners that they've written to gauge parking needs.