Lockport Union-Sun & Journal Online

Local News

July 8, 2014

Still no arrests after 'fight'

Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — Lockport Police Department is continuing to investigate a Sunday incident that may have involved a handgun being fired. 

Police were called to quell a reported fight near High and Pine streets that may have started between 3:30 and 4 p.m. Sunday and involved between eight and 10 people. Initial reports said the conflict involved the use of baseball bats and shots being fired. 

Officers have heard conflicting stories about whether a gun was fired at all, Police Chief Larry Eggert said Tuesday. 

"Some people have said they heard gunshots, some have said they didn't," he said. 

Two people were detained for questioning Sunday, but no arrests have been made.

"It's still in the investigating stage. We want to get a fuller picture of what happened," Eggert said.

Several people reportedly involved in the fight fled to 117 High St. Police were told there were five people in the home, including a baby. Portions of High and Pine streets were closed down and the department's hostage negotiator, Officer Michael Stover, contacted the people in the home to have them come out, one by one. The Niagara County Sheriff's SWAT team later searched the house to ensure it was empty.

At least one of the two detainees on Sunday is a resident of 117 High, police said previously.

1
Text Only
Local News