Lockport Union-Sun & Journal Online

Local News

May 26, 2013

Be cautious when lighting the grill

(Continued)

Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — • Always have one person in charge of the fire at all times. Never leave a hot grill unattended.

• Never attempt to repair the tank valve or the appliance yourself. See a propane gas dealer or a qualified appliance repair person. Be sure to locate your model number and the manufacturer’s consumer inquiry phone number and write them on the front page of your manual.

• If you smell gas and you are able to, safely turn off the cylinder vale, turning it to the right (clockwise). Immediately leave the area and call 911 or your local fire department. Before you use the grill again, have a qualified service technician inspect your cylinder.

The web site offers consumers proper grilling procedures using propane, in English or Spanish. In addition, there is a website for children, explaining why it’s important for them and pets to keep away form grilling equipment. This child-friendly interactive site can be found at www.propanekids.com.

For more information on the value and safe uses of propane, visit www.nypropane.com and www.usepropane.com.

Text Only
Local News