Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — Nonetheless, Federspiel said, "people were still coming in to the library. We had a steady crowd all day."
Concert concession vendors and show goers both told Mayor Michael Tucker that they like the new venue.
"We got a lot of feedback from vendors inside saying the new venue makes a world of difference; everybody's got more elbow room," he said. "People seemed more comfortable, in the VIP area, in the general area. A lot of people brought chairs ... ."
After the show, concert goers left the site quickly and easily. Police Chief Lawrence Eggert observed both pedestrian and vehicular travel away from the area was smooth. Officers did note a few "choke points" on Main Street that will be analyzed this week, with an eye on possible relief measures, he said.
Regarding noise complaints from residents on concert Friday nights, there were none. Something about the new venue seems to contain sound to the area, according to Eggert.
"Actually I was surprised at the low level of noise volume. You could barely hear that concert unless you were on top of it," he said. "A few blocks south, I didn't hear anything."
If conditions stay the same throughout the 2013 concert series, the venue change will shape up as a win-win, Eggert suggested.
"As of right now, it looks like we're doing pretty well. It looks like a good venue," he said.
Not every business owner at City Centre was happy to see the series leave its back yard, however. Chris Junke, co-owner of Lock 34 Bar & Grill, 80 Main St., noted a marked loss of Friday night business last week, compared against any concert Friday night last year.
"The dinner hour was great. During the concert, things were slow, but afterward things picked up again," he said. "We staffed (the restaurant) with 25 employees, the same as Fridays last year, but we'll probably reduce to 15 because the most volume (of customers) is there for only two hours."