Lockport Union-Sun & Journal Online

Local News

November 10, 2012


Town of Lockport family has brush with carbon monoxide

Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — A Lincoln Avenue family barely escaped a tragedy on Election Day when carbon monoxide filled their home with a fatal dose.

First responders said, “I can’t believe you’re still alive,” according to homeowner Gary Jones. “All of us should have been dead.”

Gary and LuAnn Jones were able to get out of the house at 7238 Lincoln Ave. with their 11-year-old daughter, Brooke. Mom was able to return to work at Shamus Restaurant and Brooke returned to DeSales Catholic School. Dad was still ill on Friday.

“If it wasn’t for Brooke we would all have been dead,” Gary said.

Brooke, a sixth-grader at DeSales, woke up before 6 a.m. Tuesday and complained of being sick. LuAnn went down stairs to get her daughter some medicine. The girl collapsed on the floor.

“What a nightmare that is to see your child crash to the floor like that,” the mother said.

“I yelled for Gary. ‘Something’s wrong with Brooke!’ He stumbled out of the bedroom, got to the top of the stairs and fell down. He just collapsed, fell on foyer, laying there and I was freaking out,” LuAnn said. 

They opened the doors and got outside where LuAnn called 911. Revived, Brooke feared for her pet and went inside to get Cocoa out of her cage.

“I don’t want my dog to die,” Brooke thought. 

Gary recalled, “I was kind of wobbly. My legs couldn’t move and I collapsed. I fell down the rest of the stairs. My wife was still coherent. I crawled outside.”

South Lockport Fire Co. volunteers, the Niagara County Sheriff’s Office and NYSEG arrived to the split-level home in minutes. They concentrated on Brooke who was vomiting.

The family was rushed to Eastern Niagara Hospital - Lockport where Gary registered 10.5 carbone monoxide in his system and Brooke registered 8. Father and daughter were given oxygen, Gary for six hours and Brooke for four hours. Mom, a casual smoker, was not affected as much.

Text Only
Local News