Lockport Union-Sun & Journal Online

Local News

November 10, 2012

CLOSE CALL

Town of Lockport family has brush with carbon monoxide

(Continued)

Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — Is Brooke a hero?

“She’s had aches before. This time she woke me up and alerted us to everything,” mom said. “I think she’s so brave and courageous — not hero in the true sense of a hero —she was a hero to us.”

Clayton Ellis, the manager of NYSEG Corporate Communications, said, “Get all heating equipment checked by a professional. You don’t know it’s there until your sick.”

CARBON MONOXIDE ALERT Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that kills without warning. It claims the lives of hundreds of people every year and makes thousands more ill. Many household items including gas- and oil-burning furnaces, portable generators and charcoal grills produce this poison gas. Following these important steps can keep your family safe. CO DETECTORS • Install battery-operated or battery back-up CO detectors near every sleeping area in your home • Check CO detectors regularly to be sure they are functioning properly OIL & GAS FURNACES • Have your furnace inspected every year, as well as flus and vents

Contact reporter Bill Wolcott at 439-9222, ext. 6246.

Text Only
Local News