Lockport Union-Sun & Journal Online

Local News

April 17, 2013

Lockport natives share Boston experience


Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — “Most people were calm, but I saw several people in tears. But the people of Boston were incredible,” Carol said.

Braden, who was waiting at a corner near the finish line, heard the first blast, but like many people, didn’t realize it was a bomb.

But he was much closer to the second blast, and he said he thinks it was far more powerful than the first.

“When I heard the first blast, I thought, ‘What idiot is setting off something as a celebration in this day in age?’ But when the second went off, it was so much more concussive that the first one, everyone knew what it was. All of a sudden, police officers started heading toward the explosions, and a cavalcade of about 30 motorcycle police officers started pushing people aside and clearing out the whole section, and you could hear people screaming and see spectators running,” Braden said.

Braden was sure that his wife hadn’t passed him and crossed the finish line yet, so he knew she wasn’t near the explosions. Still — he was relieved when he got the call from his daughter, telling him where she was and that she was OK.

The Wallaces, who were still in Boston Tuesday morning, said that mood around the city is completely supportive. Carol said that at the beginning of the marathon, runners are allowed to drop off a bag with their things, and they can pick it up at the end of the race. Since the bags were kept overnight, she went back to get it — and her medal — Tuesday morning.

“Today when we went out to pick up my bag, there was security everywhere. There’s someone from the National Guard standing on top of a roof, right outside our hotel,” Carol said.

Although she won’t be running the Boston Marathon next year because of her qualifying time, she said this experience won’t deter her from running in other marathons. And she doesn’t think it will stop anyone else either.

“There’s a strong sense of commeradery among runners. Everyone did what they were told, and things went as well as they could have,” Carol said.

The Wallaces are both Lockport High School graduates. They currently live in Blythewood, S.C., a suburb of Columbia.

Text Only
Local News