Lockport Union-Sun & Journal
Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — Three vehicle fires were reported in Niagara County over the weekend.
At about 2:07 p.m. Friday, a Cambria Road man told Niagara County Sheriff's deputies when he pulled into the Stop & Wash lot off Saunders Settlement Road in Sanborn, his vehicle stalled, then backfired. He just had a new engine installed in his 1989 Ford Mustang.
The man then saw flames coming from the engine compartment. Sanborn Fire Co. responded to the scene and extinguished the fire, which destroyed the front half of the vehicle. An investigation will continue, deputies said. No injuries were reported.
Later on Friday, deputies reported a Moyer Road man in Wheatfield had a fire in the engine compartment of his 2004 Chevrolet Silverado. At just after 8 p.m. he started the vehicle and saw flames, which he put out himself.
The man said he saw a birds nest located towards the rear of the engine, which may have contributed to the start of the fire. No injuries were reported.
At about 12:39 p.m. Saturday, a Godfrey Road man in Burt, Newfane, told deputies he was traveling south on Coomer Road, south of Wilson Burt Road in his 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier when he started to smell gasoline. He pulled over and shut the vehicle off and heard a pop from the engine. The Newfane man saw flames coming from under the hood.
Miller Hose Volunteer Fire Co., under the direction of Chief Gary Snyder, responded to the scene and extinguished the fire. The vehicle was a total loss and no injuries were reported.