Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — A state-federal Individual Assessment team will be in the city this morning to look over flood-damaged residential and commercial properties.
Mayor Michael Tucker received notice of the team’s arrival Tuesday from the state Office of Emergency Management.
The city is providing the assessment team with a list of properties to inspect, addresses having been culled from notices of claim that property owners were encouraged to file with the city clerk’s office.
Presently the list includes about 25 homes and a half-dozen or so flood-damaged commercial and non-profit properties including the American Legion hall, the YMCA and the YWCA, Tucker said.
The Individual Assessment team is coming in at the city’s request to determine whether private properties qualify for disaster aid from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Until recently such aid went to municipalities only, to cover repair and replacement costs of damaged public property. Last week, U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., pledged to press F.E.M.A. to be “flexible” in its interpretation of who/what property damages qualify.
Across New York state, 15 counties including Niagara were declared a disaster area by Gov. Andrew Cuomo last week after heavy rains and flooding hit the Mohawk Valley, the North Country, the Southern Tier and the City of Lockport.
Federal aid for private property owners is dependent upon a “major disaster” declaration by F.E.M.A.
Although the city-wide “amnesty” on the normal rules of refuse disposal is in effect until Friday, several property owners reported receiving violation warning notices this past Monday.
The notices were intended to alert homeowners to the ongoing ban on trashing electronic goods such as TVs and computers, Chief Building Inspector Jason Dool said.
There’s a flaw in the notices, however: They don’t specifically indicate electronic goods at the curb are a problem.