Lockport Union-Sun & Journal Online

Local News

December 1, 2013

Tuesday vote set in Wilson

Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — WILSON — A public vote on a proposed $4.5 million Wilson School District capital construction project will be held from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Zipp Athletic Center.

District residents are being asked to approve the project, which according to school officials would be paid for with state aid and district capital reserve funds. Undertaking the project would not add to the school tax levy, Superintendent Michael Wendt said.

The proposed project consists of:

• Rebuilding parts of the middle/high school and Thomas Marks elementary school, which according to district officials no longer meet state building codes.

• Safety updates including installation of impact-resistant glass on doors and windows in the middle/high school, as well as security shades and new locks so that instructors can lock classroom doors from inside in the event of a lockdown.

• Energy efficiency work — replacing exterior building lighting with “greener” LED lights and replacing the stadium lighting for the baseball field with more efficient lights on fewer poles.

• Addition of a new multipurpose computer lab at Thomas Marks and upgrade of the district phone system.

Project designers speaking at a Board of Education work session last week estimated that 85 percent of the project would be funded by New York State building aid, leaving about 15 percent to be covered by the district.

“These projects will bring the schools up to code and help us to protect our investment as a community,” Wendt, the superintendent, said.

About $1 million from local reserves would be used to cover the local share of the project ultimately. Because state building aid is paid out after-the-fact, the district would borrow the full amount, by issuing a one-year bond anticipation note first, then a 15-year serial bond. Annual state aid payments would cover the interest that the district pays on the bond.

Text Only
Local News
Featured Ads
Front page
Community Events
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
AP Video
Captain of Sunken SKorean Ferry Arrested Raw: Fire Destroys 3 N.J. Beachfront Homes Raw: Pope Presides Over Good Friday Mass Raw: Space X Launches to Space Station Superheroes Descend on Capitol Mall Man Charged in Kansas City Highway Shootings Obama Awards Navy Football Trophy Anti-semitic Leaflets Posted in Eastern Ukraine Raw: Magnitude-7.2 Earthquake Shakes Mexico City Ceremony at MIT Remembers One of Boston's Finest Raw: Students Hurt in Colo. School Bus Crash Raw: Church Tries for Record With Chalk Jesus Raw: Faithful Celebrate Good Friday Worldwide Deadly Avalanche Sweeps Slopes of Mount Everest Police Arrest Suspect in Highway Shootings Drought Concerns May Hurt Lake Tourism Vermont Goat Meat Gives Refugees Taste of Home Calif. Investigators Re-construct Fatal Bus Cras Mayor Rob Ford Launches Re-election Campaign Appellate Court Hears Okla. Gay Marriage Case