Lockport Union-Sun & Journal Online

Local News

July 18, 2013

Grease in oven blamed for fire

Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — A Niagara County Sheriff's deputy used a fire extinguisher to put out an oven fire early Thrusday at a Dysinger Road apartment.

Deputies and Rapids firefighters responded to an alarm of fire at 2:04 a.m. inside apartment 14 at 6594 Dysinger Road.

The deputy arrived first and was met by the tenant who said her electric stove began smoking and when she opened the oven door, flames came out of the door.

She added the stove was unplugged but the fire was not out. The deputy used a fire extinguisher from the trunk of the patrol car to put out the fire.

It was determined that a sauce pan of grease left on the upper rack of the oven caused the fire.

Rapids firefighters used fans to clear the apartment of smoke.

1
Text Only
Local News
Featured Ads
Front page
Community Events
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
AP Video
Captain of Sunken SKorean Ferry Arrested Raw: Fire Destroys 3 N.J. Beachfront Homes Raw: Pope Presides Over Good Friday Mass Raw: Space X Launches to Space Station Superheroes Descend on Capitol Mall Man Charged in Kansas City Highway Shootings Obama Awards Navy Football Trophy Anti-semitic Leaflets Posted in Eastern Ukraine Raw: Magnitude-7.2 Earthquake Shakes Mexico City Ceremony at MIT Remembers One of Boston's Finest Raw: Students Hurt in Colo. School Bus Crash Raw: Church Tries for Record With Chalk Jesus Raw: Faithful Celebrate Good Friday Worldwide Deadly Avalanche Sweeps Slopes of Mount Everest Police Arrest Suspect in Highway Shootings Drought Concerns May Hurt Lake Tourism Vermont Goat Meat Gives Refugees Taste of Home Calif. Investigators Re-construct Fatal Bus Cras Mayor Rob Ford Launches Re-election Campaign Appellate Court Hears Okla. Gay Marriage Case