Lockport Union-Sun & Journal Online

July 18, 2013

Grease in oven blamed for fire

Staff Reports
Lockport Union-Sun & Journal

Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — A Niagara County Sheriff's deputy used a fire extinguisher to put out an oven fire early Thrusday at a Dysinger Road apartment.



Deputies and Rapids firefighters responded to an alarm of fire at 2:04 a.m. inside apartment 14 at 6594 Dysinger Road.



The deputy arrived first and was met by the tenant who said her electric stove began smoking and when she opened the oven door, flames came out of the door.



She added the stove was unplugged but the fire was not out. The deputy used a fire extinguisher from the trunk of the patrol car to put out the fire.



It was determined that a sauce pan of grease left on the upper rack of the oven caused the fire.



Rapids firefighters used fans to clear the apartment of smoke.