Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — Lockport’s annual Memorial Day steps off Sunday at 1 p.m. from the Veterans Memorial on East Avenue, across from Eastern Niagara Hospital and will proceed along East Avenue and Main Street, finishing at the county court house.
This year’s event is hosted by the Navy Marine Club. Assembly begins at noon.
Prior to the parade, a procession of veterans and civilian volunteers will gather at 8 a.m. at the Navy Marine Club to begin a series of wreath laying ceremonies at all of the monuments in the city.
Estimated ceremony start times are: 8:25 a.m., St. Patrick’s cemetery; 8:35 a.m., Glenwood Cemetery; 8:45 a.m., Outwater Park; 9 a.m., Ida Fritz Park; 9:15 a.m., Grossi Park; 9:30 a.m., Summit Park; 9:45 a.m., Altro Park; and 10 a.m., Veterans Park.
A formal memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. at Cold Springs Cemetery.
Memorial Day ceremonies include:
• Mount View Cemetery, Upper Mountain Road, Pekin, Monday morning. A processional march to the cemetery begins at Pekin Fire Hall at 9:30 a.m.
• Somerset Town Park, 8700 Haight Road, Barker, 10 a.m. Monday. Music is by the Barker Community Band. The WNY Young Marines will carry the flags. Army Major Nathan Mann, a Barker native and West Point graduate, is the guest speaker.
• Greenwood Veterans Memorial Park, Wilson, 10 a.m. Monday. Live music is by Olivia Goode, the Thomas Marks Elementary School band and the Retired Men’s Service Club of Niagara Chorus. State Assembly Member Jane Corwin, R-Clarence, is the guest speaker.
• Corwin Cemetery, Route 78 and Hatter Road, Newfane, 11 a.m. Monday.
• Parade in Middleport, beginning at the fire hall on Main Street, noon Monday. All service personnel are invited to join in. A memorial service will follow at the village common.