Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — Due to the fact that the house was so large for its time, it became a gathering spot for early settlers and even Native Americans who were passing through the area. The Pomeroys allowed visitors to spend the night in front of one of the large fireplaces in the house.
In 1876, while the house was still in the Pomeroy family, Norman, Daniel’s son, went to the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, where he picked up some English walnuts and transplanted them in the yard behind his house. It was anyone’s guess as to whether the nuts would grow or if the trees would survive the harsh Niagara County winters. The trees not only survived but they thrived, and by 1900 the property was being referred to as the “Pomeroy English Walnut Farm.” The family shipped young trees and nuts all over the county. In the 1950s many of the trees still existed behind the house.
Norman Pomeroy also raised geese on the family farm. The story goes that some geese flying south took shelter in one of the Pomeroy barns, and he was able to capture, breed and sell them.
The property was in the Pomeroy family for over one 100 years until 1935, when it was purchased by the Frank Mrowka family. That family still owns the property today.
Ann Marie Linnabery is the assistant director of the History Center of Niagara.