Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — • Johnson Creek — Ridge Road and Johnson Creek Road, Hartland
• Hartland Corners (Morehouse’s Corners) — Ridge Road and Hartland Road, Hartland
• Ridge Road (now Ridgewood) — Ridge Road and Hess Road, Newfane
• Wright’s Corners — Ridge Road and Lake Road, Lockport
• Warren’s Corners — Ridge Road and Town Line Road, Cambria
• Molyneux’s Corners — Ridge Road and North Ridge Road, Cambria
• Streeter’s Corners — Ridge Road and Cambria-Wilson Road, Cambria
• Howell’s Tavern — Ridge Road and Twelvemile Creek, Cambria
• Dickerson’s — Ridge Road and Dickersonville Road, Lewiston
Throughout the 19th century, the main means of travel along the roads was either by foot or by horse. Blacksmiths, wheelwrights and carriage makers were in great demand throughout the county. Ira Bronson and Son Carriage Works of Lockport, a major manufacturer, turned out many styles of carriages, wagons and sleighs between 1851 and 1916. Their carriages were sought after outside of the county as well.
By 1914, Ridge Road and many of the other main routes in the county were paved to accommodate automobile traffic. Taverns and inns gave way to restaurants and motels, which themselves are now becoming obsolete along these rural roads. Although luxury homes and housing developments have replaced many of the old farms, driving the Ridge Road today you can still catch glimpses of its colorful past and historical significance in Niagara County.Ann Marie Linnabery is the assistant director of the History Center of Niagara.