The Honorary Grand Marshall for the Memorial Day Parade has been chosen.
In keeping with its long-standing tradition of designating a local veteran as “Honorary Grand Marshal of the Memorial Day Parade,” Lockport’s Parade Committee has selected World War II veteran Vic Cleri as this year’s honoree.
Cleri served as a Navy fighter pilot station on the escort carrier USS Anzio. He started in service in 1942, attending flight, ground and advance training schools before heading overseas. He served until 1945 providing air cover for Okinawa-bound submarines. Cleri was awarded the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal.
All local veterans from all eras, are invited and encouraged to be featured marchers in the first division, along with Cleri, at this year's Memorial Day Parade on May 26.
Activities for this year:
• 8 a.m. – Procession will gather at Navy Marine Club, 37 Park Ave. to begin a series of brief wreath laying ceremony at each of the official monuments throughout the city. Please note times may vary due to travel time.
• 8:15 a.m. — Leave the Navy Marine Club
• 8:25 a.m. — St. Patrick’s Cemetery (flagpole)
• 8:35 a.m. — Glenwood Cemetery (circle in new section)
• 8:45 a,.m. — Outwater Park (monument)
• 9 a.m. — Ida Fritz Park (monument)
• 9:15 a.m. — Grossi Park (flagpole)
• 9:30 a.m. — Summit Park (monument)
• 9:45 a.m. — Altro Park (flagpole)
• 10 a.m. — Veterans Park (flagpole)
A formal Memorial Service will commence at 11 a.m. at Colds Spring Cemetery featuring the American Legion Color Guard, Marine Corp League Firing Squad, and the Lockport High School Band.
Groups and individuals, participating in the Memorial Day Parade, will then assemble at noon, at the Veterans’ Memorial on East Avenue. The 1 p.m. parade will march down East Avenue/Main Street to the court house. An open house will follow at the Navy Marine Club.
Parade participants will help to honor and “Always Remember” the sacrifices of America’s servicemen and women in defense of our nation and the American way of life. Community organizations are welcome to either march or ride in the parade.
For forms and further information, contact Peggy Allen (434-9708) or firstname.lastname@example.org.